See press releases for some papers on the "Media and Press" page.
Most recent first; email if you would like a pdf copy.
67. Herborn K*, McElligott AG, Mitchell M, Sandilands V, Bradshaw B, Asher L (2020) Spectral entropy of distress calls as an iceberg indicator for chicken welfare. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 17, 20200086.
67. Nawroth C*, Martin ZH, McElligott AG* (2020). Goats use human pointing gestures in an object-choice task. Frontiers in Psychology 11,915.
66. Baciadonna L*, Briefer EF, McElligott AG* (2020) Investigation of reward quality-related behaviour as a tool to assess emotions. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 225, 104968
65. Baciadonna L*, Briefer EF*, Favaro L, McElligott AG* (2019) Goats distinguish between positive and negative emotion-linked vocalisations. Frontiers in Zoology 16, 25.
64. Mcloughlin M*, Stewart R, McElligott AG* (2019) Automated Bioacoustics: Methods in Ecology and Conservation and their Potential for Animal Welfare Monitoring. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 16, 20190225.
63. Baciadonna L*, Nawroth C, Briefer EF, McElligott AG* (2019) Perceptual lateralisation of vocal stimuli in goats. Current Zoology 65, 67-74.
62. Nawroth C*, Albuquerque N, Savalli C, Single M-S, McElligott AG* (2018). Goats prefer positive human emotional facial expressions. Royal Society Open Science, 5, 180491.
61. Baciadonna L, McElligott AG (2018) All for One and One for All. Box 5.1 Cognitive and Social Skills in Goats: State of Art and Future Directions. Field and Laboratory Methods in Animal Cognition: A Comparative Guide, pp. 107-18.
60. Baruzzi C*, Nawroth C, McElligott AG, Baciadonna L* (2018) Motor asymmetry in goats during a stepping task. Laterality 23, 599-609.
59. Valentova JV*, Otta E, da Silva M-L, McElligott AG* (2017) Underrepresentation of Women in the Senior Levels of Brazilian Science. PEERJ 5, e4000
58. Padilla de la Torre M*, McElligott AG* (2017) Vocal Communication and the Importance of Mother-Offspring Relations in Cattle. Animal Behavior and Cognition 4, 522-525. [Commentary on Marino and Allen (2017) The Psychology of Cows]
57. Spence CE*, Osman M*, McElligott AG (2017) Theory of Animal Mind: Human Nature or Experimental Artefact? Trends in Cognitive Sciences 21, 333-343
56. Nawroth C*, McElligott AG* (2017) Human head orientation and eye visibility as indicators of attention for goats (Capra hircus). PEERJ 5, e3073.
55. Pitcher BJ*, Briefer EF, Baciadonna L, McElligott AG* (2017) Cross-modal recognition of familiar conspecifics in goats. Royal Society Open Science 4, 160346.
54. Nawroth C*, Prentice PM, McElligott AG* (2017) Individual personality differences in goats predict their performance in visual learning and non-associative cognitive tasks. Behavioural Processes 134, 43-53.
53. Baciadonna L*, Nawroth C, McElligott AG* (2016) Judgement bias in goats (Capra hircus): Investigating the effects of human grooming. PEERJ 4:e2485
52. Nawroth C*, Baciadonna L, McElligott AG* (2016) Goats learn socially from humans in a spatial problem-solving task. Animal Behaviour 121, 123-129.
51. Nawroth C*, Brett JM, McElligott AG* (2016) Goats display audience-dependent human-directed gazing behaviour in a problem-solving task. Biology Letters 12, 20160283.
50. Favaro L, Gili C, Da Rugnac C, Gnone G, Fissore C, Sanchez D, McElligott AG, Gamba M, Pessani D (2016) Vocal individuality and species divergence in the contact calls of banded penguins. Behavioural Processes 128, 83-88.
49. Padilla de la Torre M, Briefer EF, Ochocki BM, McElligott AG, Reader T (2016) Mother-offspring recognition via contact calls in cattle (Bos taurus). Animal Behaviour 114, 147-154.
48. Favaro L, Gamba M, Alfieri C, Pessani D, McElligott AG (2015) Vocal individuality cues in African penguin (Spheniscus demersus) calls: a source-filter theory approach. Scientific Reports 5, 17255.
47. Briefer EF*, Oxley J, McElligott AG (2015) Autonomic nervous system reactivity in a free-ranging mammal: effects of dominance rank and personality. Animal Behaviour 110, 121-132
46. Pitcher BJ*, Briefer EF, McElligott AG* (2015) Intrasexual selection drives sensitivity to pitch, formants and duration in the competitive calls of fallow bucks. BMC Evolutionary Biology 15, 149.
45. Padilla de la Torre M*, Briefer EF, Reader T, McElligott AG* (2015) Acoustic analysis of cattle (Bos taurus) mother-offspring contact calls from a source-filter theory perspective. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 163, 58-68.
44. Baciadonna L*, McElligott AG* (2015) The use of judgement bias to assess welfare in farm livestock. Animal Welfare 24, 81-91.
43. Briefer EF*, Tettamanti F, McElligott AG* (2015) Emotions in goats: mapping physiological, behavioural and vocal profiles. Animal Behaviour 99, 131-143.
42. Briefer EF*, Haque S, Baciadonna L, McElligott AG* (2014) Goats excel at learning and remembering a highly novel cognitive task. Frontiers in Zoology 11, 20.
41. Favaro L*, Briefer EF, McElligott AG* (2014) Artificial Neural Network approach for revealing individual identity, group membership and age information in goat kid contact calls. Acta Acustica united with Acustica 100, 782-789.
40. Pitcher BJ*, Briefer EF, Vannoni E, McElligott AG (2014) Fallow bucks attend to vocal cues of motivation and fatigue. Behavioral Ecology 25, 392-401
39. Stachowicz JB, Vannoni E, Pitcher BJ, Briefer EF, Geffen E, McElligott AG* (2014) Acoustic divergence in the rut vocalisation of Persian and European fallow deer. Journal of Zoology 292, 1-9. (Jan 2014, with cover photo)
38. Baciadonna L, McElligott AG*, Briefer EF* (2013) Goats favour personal over social information in an experimental foraging task. PEERJ 1: e172
37. Pitcher BJ*, Mesoudi A, McElligott AG* (2013) Sex-biased sound symbolism in English-language first names. PLOS ONE 8, e64825
36. Briefer EF*, McElligott AG* (2013) Rescued goats at a sanctuary display positive mood after former neglect. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 145, 45-55.
35. Briefer EF*, Farrell ME, Hayden TJ, McElligott AG* (2013) Fallow deer polyandry is related to fertilization insurance. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 67, 657-665.
34. Briefer EF*, Padilla de la Torre M, McElligott AG* (2012) Mother goats do not forget their kids' calls. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B 279, 3749-3755. (Sept 2012, with cover photo)
33. Briefer EF*, McElligott AG* (2012) Social effects on vocal ontogeny in an ungulate, the goat (Capra hircus). Animal Behaviour 83, 991-1000.
32. Briefer E*, McElligott AG* (2011) Indicators of age, body size and sex in goat kid calls revealed using the source-filter theory. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 133, 175-185.
31. Briefer E*, McElligott AG* (2011) Mutual mother-offspring recognition in an ungulate hider species, (Capra hircus). Animal Cognition 14, 585-598.
30. Curno O, Reader T, McElligott AG, Behnke JM, Barnard CJ (2011) Infection before pregnancy affects immunity and response to social challenge in the next generation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B 366, 3364-3374. (See this and related papers in themed issue, Disease avoidance: from animals to culture).
29. Mesoudi A, McElligott AG, Adger D (2011) Integrating genetic and cultural evolutionary approaches to language. Human Biology 83, 141-151. (See also the related papers on language evolution in this special issue of Human Biology).
28. Farrell ME, Briefer E*, Hayden T, McElligott AG* (2011) Assortative mating in fallow deer reduces the strength of sexual selection. PLOS ONE 6, e18533.
27. Briefer E, McElligott AG (2010) The question of animal culture or of human uniqueness? Journal of Evolutionary Psychology 8, 271-276. (Book Review)
26. Briefer E, Vannoni E, McElligott AG* (2010) Quality prevails over identity in the sexually selected vocalisations of an ageing mammal. BMC Biology 8, 35.
25. McElligott AG* (2009) Tinbergen's Legacy: Function and Mechanism in Behavioral Biology. Quarterly Review of Biology 84, 412. (Book Review)
24. Vannoni E, McElligott AG* (2009) Fallow bucks get hoarse: vocal fatigue as a possible signal to conspecifics. Animal Behaviour 78, 3-10. (Selected as an Editorial "Featured Article")
23. Curno O, Behnke JM, McElligott AG, Reader T, Barnard CJ (2009) Mothers produce less aggressive sons with altered immunity when there is a threat of disease during pregnancy. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 276, 1047-1054. (rated by Faculty of 1000 Biology as "Must Read")
22. Vannoni E, McElligott AG* (2008) Low frequency groans indicate larger and more dominant fallow deer (Dama dama) males. PLOS ONE 3, e3113.
21. Rüttiman S, Giacometti M, McElligott AG* (2008) Effect of domestic sheep on chamois activity, distribution and abundance on sub-alpine pastures. European Journal of Wildlife Research 54, 110-116.
20. Decristophoris PMA, von Hardenberg A, McElligott AG (2007) Testosterone is positively related to the output of nematode eggs in male Alpine ibex (Capra ibex) faeces. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9, 1277-1292. (with cover illustration)
19. Marolf B, McElligott AG*, Müller A (2007) Female social dominance in twoEulemur species with different social organizations. Zoo Biology 26, 201-214.
18. Vannoni E, McElligott AG (2007) Individual acoustic variation in fallow deer (Dama dama) common and harsh groans: a source-filter theory perspective. Ethology 113, 223-234.
17. Bebié N, McElligott AG* (2006) Female aggression in red deer (Cervus elaphus): does it indicate competition for mates? Mammalian Biology 71, 347-355.
16. McElligott AG*, Birrer M, Vannoni E (2006) Retraction of the mobile descended larynx during groaning enables fallow bucks (Dama dama) to lower their formant frequencies. Journal of Zoology 270, 340-345.
15. Torriani MVG, Vannoni E, McElligott AG* (2006) Mother-young recognition in an ungulate hider species: a unidirectional process. American Naturalist 168, 412-420.
14. Saunders FC, McElligott AG*, Safi K, Hayden TJ (2005) Mating tactics of male feral goats (Capra hircus): risks and benefits. Acta Ethologica 8, 103-110.
13. Vannoni E, Torriani MVG, McElligott AG (2005) Acoustic signalling in cervids: a methodological approach for measuring vocal communication in fallow deer. Cognition, Brain, Behavior 9, 551-556.
12. Lüpold S, McElligott AG, Hosken DJ (2004) Bat genitals: allometry, variation and good genes. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 83, 497-507.
11. McElligott AG*, Maggini I, Hunziker L, König B (2004) Interactions between red-billed oxpeckers and black rhinos in captivity. Zoo Biology 23, 347-354.
10. McElligott AG* et al. (2003) The somatic cost of reproduction: what determines reproductive effort in prime-aged fallow bucks? Evolutionary Ecology Research 5, 1239-1250.
9. Schlosser JA, Garner TWJ, Dubach JM, McElligott AG (2003) Characterization of microsatellite loci in the Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti) and cross-amplification in other penguin species. Molecular Ecology Notes 3, 62-64.
8. McElligott AG*, Altwegg R, Hayden TJ (2002) Age-specific survival and reproductive probabilities: evidence for senescence in male fallow deer (Dama dama). Proceedings of the Royal Society B 269, 1129-1137.
7. McElligott AG* et al. (2001) Sexual size dimorphism in fallow deer (Dama dama): do larger, heavier males gain greater mating success? Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 49, 266-272.
6. McElligott AG*, Hayden TJ (2001) Postcopulatory vocalizations of fallow bucks: who is listening? Behavioral Ecology 12, 41-46. (with cover photo)
5. McElligott AG*, Hayden TJ (2000) Lifetime mating success, sexual selection and life history of fallow bucks (Dama dama). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 48, 203-210.
4. McElligott AG*, Hayden TJ (1999) Context-related vocalization rates of fallow bucks, Dama dama. Animal Behaviour 58, 1095-1104.
3. McElligott AG*, O’Neill KP, Hayden TJ (1999) Cumulative long-term investment in vocalization and mating success of fallow bucks, Dama dama. Animal Behaviour 57, 1159-1167.
2. McElligott AG* et al. (1998) Fighting tactics of fallow bucks (Dama dama, Cervidae): reducing the risks of serious conflict. Ethology 104, 789-803.
1. Kent JP, McElligott AG, Budgey HV (1997) Ground-roosting in domestic fowl (Gallus gallus domesticus) in The Gambia: the anticipation of night. Behavioural Processes 39, 271-278.